Makeup has been around since ancient times, and back then, people would mix burnt almonds, metal, the pigment of berries, and lead-based cosmetics to create their makeup. There was even a time when arsenic was unintentionally used just to achieve flawless beauty.
Today, makeup is still used to enhance faces and disguise blemishes, but they are now made with cleaner ingredients. However, some of the ingredients in the present-day makeup can still cause irritation and even serious health problems. This is why mineral makeup is becoming more popular; they are made of purer ingredients and are gentler on the skin. In this article, we will know the difference between mineral makeup compared to other types of makeup.
Mineral makeup has been around since ancient Egyptian times. Back then, men and women used makeup to make themselves look more appealing to the eyes of their gods as well as other people. People from these early civilizations used to make their black eyeliners using black powders from different compounds such as galena, manganese oxide, copper oxides, iron oxides, and more. While some of these ingredients are considered toxic, others are still used today, such as iron oxide.
Pros of Mineral Makeup
- Zinc oxide and titanium dioxide used in mineral makeup act as sunblock ingredients that help prevent UV rays from penetrating your skin.
- True mineral makeup uses ingredients that came from nature, and they are usually milder on the skin compared to their synthetic counterpart. This is why people with sensitive skin often benefit from using mineral makeup over traditional makeup.
- Zinc oxide also acts as an anti-inflammatory ingredient that helps prevent rashes and irritation. It can also help calm your skin.
Cons of Mineral Makeup
- If you incorrectly apply mineral makeup, it may look cakey, especially if you have oily skin. This is because powdered mineral absorbs oil and it can cause a bit of clumping, too.
- Mineral makeup offers a limited color range. This is because the ingredients used in mineral makeup are limited to organic elements, so manufacturers are limited to making fewer color varieties.
- Mineral makeup does not last long compared to traditional makeup because it does not have any waterproofing or binder ingredients.
There’s a makeup trend that everyone has used every decade since the start of the 20th century. In fact, you can specify time periods based solely on how women look. In the United States, cosmetic manufacturing companies such as Elizabeth Arden, Revlon, and Estee Lauder all built their empire through marketing campaigns that encourage women that they will look their best when they use makeup.
Cover girl models often use traditional makeup, and Hollywood starts. This type of makeup product can be easily bought everywhere. However, traditional makeup contains synthetic fragrances, chemicals, and preservatives that can irritate those with sensitive skin and other skin types.
Pros of Traditional Makeup
- Traditional makeup is designed to be applied quickly, and they come in several types and shades. For example, a foundation can come in stick, cream, liquid, or powder form. Not only that, but they also come in different finishes such as dewy, matte, or semi-matte.
- Traditional makeup comes in different colors, even those that are not found in nature. That is why people find it easier to use traditional makeup because there’s a suitable shade for every skin tone.
- Some traditional makeup comes in long-lasting formulas that is why they are great for photoshoots, events, as well as TV and film production.
Cons of Traditional Makeup
- Some traditional makeup is hard to remove, and this may lead to skin breakout.
- Most conventional makeup contains ingredients that can cause irritation and harm sensitive skin.
- Some traditional makeup contains heavy metals and even formaldehyde which can cause cancer.
There are several options in the market for everyone who wants to buy new makeup. Whether you wish for mineral or traditional makeup, the vital thing is to take a look at the ingredients and do your research before buying one. Just remember not to be swayed by trends and gimmicks and choose the makeup that will make you feel beautiful and the one that is healthy for your skin. We all want to look great so we try different types of make up and luxury cosmetics brands such as Cover FX and others. But healthy skin is the ultimate luxury.