There are lots of skincare products we usually put on our faces, such as moisturizers, whitening creams, toners, and many more. But, in recent years, the wonderful yet weird world of face masks has blossomed. In fact, most people who are stuck in using clays and cream are now venturing to charcoals, enzymes, and face masks. Although it looks good and Instagram-friendly, the real question would be if it will benefit your skin or if their claims are just too good to be true.
These face masks work by covering the face with the user’s chosen formula for about a period of time, which usually lasts for about 10 or 20 minutes. Well, in a nutshell, the effectiveness of these newly blossomed beauty hacks depends on which beauty mask you wear and what goals you are trying to achieve in using it. According to dermatologists, these face masks can be effective in a way that they can deliver a therapeutic skincare ingredient, as well as boost and nourish the skin. With enough time, you let the masks on your face, the better your skin can absorb the ingredient, and more time will be allotted for these ingredients to penetrate the skin and take effect.
Furthermore, many have claimed that these beauty masks can be your quick fix for dry patches and inflammation. However, their benefits are temporary. Being said so, this calls for daily use alongside other skincare products to be effective. Dermatologists also warned that doing masks for the sake of doing something for your skin can be pretty risky and could lead to some issues like irritation, redness, or breakouts.
So, with a lot of beauty masks formulas to look for, which one should you opt to use? Well, the answer is quite simple: Know your skin type and then look for the right ingredients. Here’s precisely what you should be looking for:
- For Acne and Inflammation: Face masks are not the long-term remedy for acne, but they could help you calm those breakouts and inflammation. To do this, you should look for face masks with ingredients like benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, and other more natural ingredients like papaya or yogurt to remove the dirt that clogs your pores. You can also use aloe vera and oatmeal to soothe your skin or opt for clay and charcoal to soak the excess oil.
- Oily Skin: Any ingredient that helps to reduce the clogs on your pores is undoubtedly ideal for your skin. To help reduce oily skins, you should choose face masks that contain ingredients like glycolic acid, sulfur, salicylic acid, and charcoal. On a more natural ingredient, you could try pineapple and yogurt to exfoliate your skin.
- Dry Skin: Dry Skin needs hydration to stay healthy and younger-looking. With that, you should look for products that use water-retaining hyaluronic acid. You should also apply moisturizers like shea butter or avocado that can soften and smoothen your skin.
Now that you have a background what are the usual ingredients to look for that are best on your skin, you’ll now want to narrow down the list of kinds of face masks you should choose from. Below are some of the common face mask types you should consider buying the next time you went to a cosmetic store:
- Clay: Clay masks are naturally rich in minerals and are also great for revitalizing the skin. Clay masks have two types, namely the bentonite and the kaolin. Both types are helpful in absorbing your skin’s excess oil and are also suitable for acne-prone skin.
- Mud: Mud masks are usually designed for deep cleansing. In addition, they provide hydration to the skin since they are water-based formulas. One thing to remember is that different mud formulas contain several ingredients, but you’ll most likely spot fruits and acid extracts on the list.
- Cream or Gel: Cream or gel masks usually contain hyaluronic acids that make it thicker. These types of masks are great if you have dehydrated skin that is in dire need of hydration.
- Natural: Aside from the cosmetic shop’s beauty masks, one could also make their own formula in the comfort of their homes. Ingredients like honey, oats, or turmeric can be made into masks made out of an all-natural ingredient.
- Overnight Formula: Also known as sleep masks, this type of formula is pack with powerful hydrating ingredients. Since it stays on your skin overnight, ingredients like shea butter or turmeric can soak in for hours and could provide more time to produce benefits for the skin.